What is Ayurveda
Ayurveda is one of the world's oldest holisitic ("whole-body") healing systems. It was developed more than 5,000 years ago in Ancient India. It is based on the belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind, body, and spirit. Thousands of years before modern medicine provided scientific evidence for the mind-body connection, the sages of India developed Ayurveda; which continues to be one of the world's most sophisticated and powerful mind-body health systems. More than a mere system of treating illness, Ayurveda is a science of life! It offers a body of wisdom designed to help people stay vibrant and healthy while realizing their full human potential. At Seventh Wonder Holistic Spa, we help you understand your unique mind-body type and the specific needs that derive from it!
Ayurveda is based on the idea that the universe is composed of five basic elements, ether, air, fire, water and earth. The five elements combine to form the three vital energies, the doshas. From the moment of conception, the individual constitution is created by these energies. The doshas, vata, pitta, and kapha, can be found in different proportions in everyone and everything. This unique combination of physical, mental and emotional features defines our essential nature, our individual constitution known as prakriti. Honoring our true nature is key to our health: When disregarded, we develop imbalances that can lead to disease.
Composed of air and space, vata is dry, light, cold, rough, subtle, mobile and clear. It regulates body movements, including chewing, swallowing, nerve impulses, breathing, muscle movements, thinking, peristalsis, evacuation and menstruation. When vata is out of balance, it may affect these movements.
The dosha of fire and water, pitta is sharp, flowing, hot, light, liquid, fetid and oily. It manages transformation, overseeing our digestion, metabolism, temperature, sensory perception and comprehension. A pitta imbalance can lead to sharpness and inflammation in these areas.
Composed of earth and water, kapha is heavy, cold, slow, oily, fine sticky and stable. It governs cohesion, stability and structure, including the bones and organs. An excess of kapha can lead to a sense of density or heaviness in the body.
Ayurveda is the art of living in harmony with the laws of nature.
We each have our own unique path, and because health and happiness looks different for everyone, Ayurveda doesn't believe in a one-size fits all approach. To apply and benefit from the wisdom of Ayurveda, each of us must understand our unique relationship with ourselves and the world around us. When our doshas are properly balanced we’ll experience a heightened sense of well-being and accept that our health and happiness rely on knowing our truth and how we live it.
- Ayurvedic Consultation: $85 (1 hour) - This process identifies the various components of an individual’s constitution, determines where imbalances may exist, and provides education, guidance and options for helping the individual to regain balance and improve their health and wellness. When receiving an initial consultation, plan to spend about an hour with Dr. Goswami or Elizabeth Henrichsen. The exam is a thorough process in which your consultant really gets to know you. After evaluating all aspects of your being, a practitioner can make clear suggestions about which Ayurvedic practices you can adopt to maintain a life of balance. These may include daily self-care routines, food choices, yoga, and pranayama techniques, meditation and movement practices, herbs and treatments to follow.
(Follow-up consultations: $35 (30 minutes) - Please call to schedule your appointment)
- Ayurvedic Marma Point Facial Treatment: $95 (70 minutes) - Our Marma Point Facials focus on massaging each "marma point" or energy points in the face. It focuses on areas where flesh, arteries, veins, tendons, joints and bones meet. This calming type of facial helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Marma Point Facial is Ayurvedic pressure point therapy for the face used to open the subtle energy flow, similar to acupuncture.
- Shirodhara: $125 (1 hour) - Shirodhara is a stream of warm, fragrant water or warm oil gently flowing across the forehead (third eye center) over the top of the head. It is rejuvenating for the senses, most of which are located in the head. This treatment is deeply calming for the nervous system and has been very effective in cases of insomnia. Shirodhara brings a profound stillness to the mind which induces a meditative state.
- Abhyanga with Ubutan & Near Infrared Sauna (Oil Treatment not a Massage): $160 (90 minutes) - Abhyanga provides the means for transdermal absorption of the healing qualities of the material used in the massage, and it helps the skin, which is the largest organ in the body, perform its diverse functions efficiently, whether it is allowing toxins to be released from the body or nourishment to be absorbed by the tissues. It is like oiling the engine of your car — if you do it regularly, your engine will be in peak condition, and give you years and years of trouble-free performance.The treatment includes traditional Ubtan and near infrared Himalayan sauna to penetrate muscles and for maximum benefit.
- Increased circulation (especially to nerve endings)
-Toning of the muscles and the whole physiology
-Calming for the nerves
-Lubrication of the joints
-Increased mental alertness
-Improved elimination of impurities from the body
-Softer, smoother skin
-Increased levels of stamina through the day
-Better, deeper sleep at night
- Pedi Karma (Kansa Vatki) Feet Therapy: $65 (30 minutes) - A special metal bowl (Three metal bowl – Silver, Copper, & Brass), is applied with coconut oil and rubbed against the soles of the feet to create the most relaxing treatment for your feet. It helps to release unwanted body heat making it a great detoxifying treatment.
- Netra Basti (Eye Rejuvenation Therapy): $65 (1 hour) - The eyes are the gateway to the treasured sense of sight, and the practice of Ayurveda gives great attention to their care. Netra Basti is essentially a bathing of the eyes. Netra means “eyes” and basti is the Sanskrit word meaning “to bathe” or “cleanse.”
What Is Netra Basti Good For?
- Reduces tension and migraine headaches
- Soothes dry, itchy, eyes
- Provides relief from allergies
- Improved vision
- Increased concentration and mental acuity
- Combats eye strain from TV, computers, and smartphones
- Relieves eye socket tension, twitches, and squinting
- Eases wrinkles and dark circles around the eyes
- Slows the natural degeneration of the eyesLipid structure in coconut oil is similar to the body’s natural lubrication, making it especially nourishing for optic nerve tissues – even for those wearing a prosthetic eye.
- Indian Head & Shoulder Therapy: $30 (30 minutes) - Indian head and shoulder therapy includes manipulation with aroma essential oils. You can add with any facial or have it done by itself. It can help to:
- Relieve eyestrain and headaches.
- Improve concentration.
- Relieve physical and mental fatigue.
- Improve joint mobility.
- Relieve stress and muscular tension.
- Hrid Basti (Heart Oil Therapy): $45 (30 minutes) - Ayurvedic oils are infused with herbs and applied in a well over the sternum and heart. This helps to calm an inflamed Vata.
- Karna Puoarna (Ear Therapy): $40 (45 minutes) - Ayurvedic oils are applied to the ear. This helps to loosen ear wax and can aid ringing ears and insomnia.
- Kati Basti (Lower Back Therapy): $65 (30 minutes) - Kati Basti uses warm oil and dough well to relieve lower back tension and improve circulation.
- Nabhi Basti (Naval Therapy): $45 (30 minutes) - Balances the Nabhi Marma, aids digestion, and can help to relieve constipation.
- Nasya Therapy (Nasal/Sinus Therapy): $20 (20 minutes) -Warm Ayurvedic oil is applied to the nose, in the nostril. This helps to detox the sinuses and throat and is a common remedy for dry nasal passages, stiffness of the neck, and migraines. Naysa oil has to be specially concentrated according to your dosha. Nasya Therapy helps sinuses, facial paralysis (or Bell's Palsy), heals sinusitis, sinus headaches, migraines and more. Nasya also connects to the brain, crown chakra and promotes cognitive health.
- Gharshanam with Sauna (Body Exfoliation with RawSilk): $60 (30 minutes) - Skin brushing is a highly effective technique for stimulating the expulsion of mucus and loosening other toxic matter that clogs the lymphatic system and the lymph nodes.
Experience our variety of services that deftly combine authentic Indian culture with our deep Jacksonville roots. East meets West in our holistic array! We believe that inner health begins with relaxation of the mind and body, and reflects outwardly as beauty.
Prior to receiving any Ayurvedic treatment, it is recommended that you begin with an Ayurvedic Consultation.
Ayurvedic counseling is not medical advice nor is it meant to replace advice from your doctor or healthcare provider. You should always speak with your doctor or healthcare professional before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your health care plan or treatment and to determine what course of therapy is right for you.